Category

Community

Soup group rainy days

By | Activities in Beith, Children & Families, Community | No Comments

Well done to the all weather troopers who came along to soup group last night and didn’t stop smiling despite the rain!

The session started with the biggest word search we have ever seen! The kids were split into 2 teams: Boys who were the lightening god apple team and the girls who were the purple thunder team were against each other and against the clock with each team member having 1 minute to try to find a word before swapping with the next person on their side, competing to find different countries. We found many countries from all over the world but the boys won with a decisive 8:4 win!

Next we made art from wax, and we were very impressed with the level of creativity (see pics to be wowed)!

Next, we made our very own bubble machine (well … we made it from sticks, string and good old fairy liquid!) Kaleb showed some great talent in making the biggest bubbles and Sam was very kind in showing kiera how to use it!

You are also probably wondering why we asked you to bring glass jars … Karen Ronald kindly gave us some delicious baguettes and we made our own butter from cream. You do this by shaking whipped cream in a jar (take care – your arm will get tired!) and then we added some wild garlic and enjoyed some delicious garlic bread and marshmallows (which the kids earned by telling us a fact about one of the countries found earlier on the wordsearch … very interesting exercise! ha ha See you all next week!

Astro Bike on tour

By | Activities in Beith, Community, Upcoming Events | No Comments

This week we had the pleasure of delivering our delicious home grown produce to people in the community. We delivered lettuces, radishes and Parsley on our eco -friendly astro bike, made by Uula Jero at the People’s Utility Bike Company, helping us to reduce our carbon footprint throughout Beith.

As this was the first time our bike left the astro on a daytrip, we weren’t surprised to find people staring and wondering what we were doing but thanks to everyone who gave us support for our efforts and even gave us a donation in exchange for some delicious vegetables that our staff, volunteers and children have put so much effort into growing over the past few months.

We are looking to make up some veg boxes in the future and we would love for you to tell us where you live and what you would like and we will happily deliver straight to your door.

Remember to keep an eye on our facebook page to see posts about why growing your own food and buying from local producers is so much more beneficial financially and environmentally! Stay tuned for our next outing!

Little Chefs

By | Activities in Beith, Community | No Comments

Last night our 10 little chefs showed off their cooking skills by making some delicious cheese and chive puffs!

We started by mixing ingredients together in a big bowl … which always get messy … and is their favourite bit for exactly that reason! Then we grated the cheese in special winding graters and chopped up some chives after spending quite some time convincing the kids that it wasn’t grass ha ha.

When all the ingredients were added we made put little bite sized portions on baking trays and put them in the oven, excited to see what they would taste like! While the puffs were puffing we had some other activities for our little chefs … the first was onion tasting. We learned about some different types of onions … and tasted them too … creating some of the most interesting facial expressions ever! Then we played a game to illustrate how germs can be passed and to promote food hygiene which involved shaking hands along a line and seeing how much glitter passes from the first person to the last person in the line! I think it is safe to say our little chefs will be keen to wash their hands before meals from now on!

We ended on a quick quiz about food helping our kids to learn more about where their food comes from, different types of healthy food and how it can be grown before getting to taste our yummy food! It is great to see kids getting excited (despite not getting to make chocolate cake), what a difference when they are involved in the process of making something from scratch! Well done to them all!

Courtney Earns Playmaker Award

By | Activities in Beith, Community, Sport | No Comments

As you all know some of our wonderful kids have been developing good leadership skills, including planning sessions, delivering sessions and using feedback in a constructive way to develop skills and earn their playmaker award! Last night it was Courtney’s turn to shine and she did a great job!

Courtney gathered all the equipment she would need for her game and then she split the group into 2 teams. She explained the rules of the games which were:

In teams of 5, start at one end of the pitch, throw the ball to a team member who must be ahead of you and continue with this until your team makes it to the other end of the pitch. If the ball is dropped then the team must go back to the start.

This game was great fun, well organised, promoted both teamwork and competitiveness and was fast paced, exciting and hilarious!

Courtney then did very well asking for and responding to feedback on the game which was all positive! Well done Courtney, you will make an excellent leader 🙂

Zak McNee – My Work Experience Week!

By | Activities in Beith, Community, News, Work Experience | No Comments

My Week at Work Experience

This week at Beith Trust has been great, I have learned a whole load of new skills e.g. how to update and schedule a website, how to use WordPress. I have had a chance to see what a local business workplace is like. I have enjoyed the whole time, the people that I have been working with have been so kind and funny.

The Beginning (Day 1)

On the first day I was introduced to the team; Alex the one that has the dogs, Jane the Boss, Amy the receptionist, Jonny the Computer Whiz, Lisa the Project worker and Claire the Graphics and slave master. Furthermore I wrote a blog and uploaded it to Beith Astro, I scheduled some advertising posters on the Beith Astro Facebook page.

Day 2

On the second day I interviewed a member of staff, Mark Gray about his job in Beith Astro, I made a blog and posted it on Beith Trust’s website. Also I scheduled more things for Beith Astro’s Facebook page.

Day 3

On the third day I added new information and a new page to the Beith Astro website. I also added some scheduling on the Facebook page

Out and ABOUT Day (day 4)

On the second last day I was set with the task of going round the local shops asking if they knew any facts about Beith. I got really good feed back form the locals and they where all willing to participate.

The Last Day (day 5)

On the last day I wrote this blog. I also uploaded it to the Beith Trust page.

Work Experience Week – Livia Amzu

By | Activities in Beith, Children & Families, Community, News | No Comments

Work Experience Week

This week, “Work Experience Week”, I joined Beith Community Development Trust and Beith Astro. I’ve enjoyed it very much because, everyday I had different challenging tasks to do and I managed to do them very successfully and put my effort in everything that I’ve created and wrote for blogs, articles , interviews, website updating, schedule, community calendar, mail chimp and also a short movie presenting the Girls Football where are some pictures and shots from their warm up and in the end, their wonderful game which was a really good match.

In this week I also learnt a lot of new staff together with Claire, Jonny, Alex, Amy and Lisa who helped me every time and tough me to do interesting things on PC, which were new for me, and now I can manage to do all the stuff that I wasn’t able to do them when I came here.

For me the most challenging task that I had to do was to take an interview of Amy and try to get some information about her work. Firstly I had to make up some questions for Amy’s work and once I got the answers and the information that I needed,   I had to make a blog and write as much as I can about Amy’s work and her opinion about it. We had a nice and enjoyable conversation that also made me to understand what she is actually doing and preparing for her SVQ work.

I also enjoyed when I went outside with Zack – the other student that joined the work experience in the same week as me, and walked together along Beith and ask people questions about “ Which is the most interesting fact about Beith?”.

We received some interesting answers from people with a lot of historical knowledge and find out a lot of fascinating facts about Beith. I’m very glad that I met these people and gave us sufficient information that we needed.

I had a great time together with all the staff from Beith Trust and made to appreciate their hard work and their effort for people who want to do some exercise, sport, take some lessons of cooking, encourage people to do parties and enjoy their day together with neighbours and a lot of remarkable ideas and plans for people future.

I’m glad that I applied to Beith Trust ,because it was a nice experience for me and let me to see how is to work and prepare  me for  the future that it might be similar to this work.

I want to thanks to everybody for their warm welcome and their kind and nice manners that made me to feel that I’m part of their big family and made me to feel very comfortable and relaxed, and this week to be a part of my memory.

Thank you very much again guys for your kindness and I wish you a lot of success in your work and hope you will have a great and wonderful future! J

Cubs Earning Environmental Conservation Badge

cubs environment badgeBeith trust had lots of special wee helpers here last night from the cubs earning their environmental badge. The session began with a quiz which involved the cubs running to the area which represented different answers to a question about our planet.  The kids were asked things like ‘is the earth getting hotter or colder’ and what contributes more to global warming, walking to the shops or watching TV’. Impressively many of the kids got every answer right, though it was funny to watch some kids however between both sides because they didn’t want to commit to an answer.

Next, the cubs got into their high vis vests and were split into teams to do a litter pick … and I don’t think I have ever seen anyone as excited about litter before he he. Both teams did a great job … but that wasn’t the challenge over! … Next we had a challenge between 3 teams to see who could separate rubbish into piles ready to go into the correct bins, choosing from normal bin, recycling bin and brown bin … a challenge which caused lots of great discussion and great answers!

To meet another criterion for the badge the cubs helped us with our garden by taking on a big weeding challenge! This involved differentiating between plants and weeds and disposing of weeds in our compost area … and also involved a lot of getting mucky!

We ended by splitting the cubs into 3 separate teams and we held our eco election where the 3 groups created policies and took to the stage to present their ideas on how to make the planet a better place. The electorate (the cub leaders). Group 1 were voted for in an overwhelming majority due to their policies like reducing CO2 emissions through driving less, putting more solar panels in buildings and developing systems to prevent littering. I hope the newly elected ‘planet protectors’ can push these policies through and make the change we are all hoping for!

Soup Group Fun in the Sun

By | Activities in Beith, Community, Sport | No Comments

Soup group was blessed with glorious sunshine again last night which put everyone in good spirits. We started by tackling a very relevant issue for kids of this age … bullying through a game called ‘lend a hand’ where each child is given a scenario and the others offer to lend a hand by providing a possible solution. We covered some of the main reasons for bullying including race, class and disability and I was very impressed by how open minded our kids are and how progressive their thinking is on this subject, giving answers like “tell someone you trust” and “include the person being bullied in you group of friends so they are not lonely”, lovely to hear.

Next we had a search across the whole outdoor area for some hidden clues that spelt out a 10 letter sentence … it was neck and neck with both teams demonstrating brilliant cooperative working to eventually spell out “we love soup” … but they hadn’t quite worked up an appetite for the campfire yet … so next on the agenda was football, races, the cooperative stand up in pairs and in a group, which I think actually resulted in more cooperative falling down he he! And since everyone was on the floor already we had each child arrange the others into a giant shape … though I think we made some shapes up which we will have to add to the mathematicians’ lists J

The session ended with delicious soup made by Papa Lees, thanks very much!!! … and some marshmallow toasting which is always a favourite J

Mark’s Marvellous Mind – Mark Gray’s Blog

By | Activities in Beith, Children & Families, Community, Sport, Team Profiles | No Comments

Today I had the pleasure of speaking with the Beith Trust’s Sport Development Instructor, Mark Gray, he has been a dedicated member of Beith Trust for the last year. Mark said that he loves working in Beith Trust because of the people that work in the offices and the people that come into coach. He also loves working in Beith Trust because he gets to work with the local community and meet new people every day. Mark’s favourite things about Beith Trust is the staff because they are the ones that keep him entertained during the day when he is not coaching.

I was wondering what plans mark had for the future involving Beith Trust. He said that he was planning on starting some new and existing clubs; Multisport that will include various different sports, Netball and Family Fun Friday that will involve the whole family in a range of fun and active activities. Furthermore I asked mark about his sporting background and he replied by saying he used to play for a Linwood football team he also used to manage a team in Linwood and go running to keep fit.

Mark coaches or helps with the Majority of sports and activates held within Beith Trust. He helps with Astro Balls, Girls Football, Astro Parties Astro Tots, Disability Football, The play Scheme Club, Summer Sunday Sessions, Walking Football, Footie Five and Breakfast Club.

Beith Trust’s Polytunnel, Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse!

By | Children & Families, Community | No Comments

Today I spoke to our green thumbed volunteer, Kate who takes care of all of our growing and gardening needs down here at the Trust about what’s currently growing in our polytunnel. Before learning more about our agricultural asset I was convinced that it was a contingency plan for a zombie apocalypse but obviously this is not the case. Turns out we are currently growing 14 different species of vegetables and fruits; courgettes, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, parsnips, herbs, radishes etc. The time required to grow of all the species of fruits and vegetables varies from species to species, some take only weeks others like carrots for example take months! Some require to be nourished more frequently than others and some need more space, many combinations of variables have to be considered and leaves room to expand your gardening knowledge and it can be a very enjoyable hobby!

From the very little knowledge of farming I already had I was aware that large commercial farms used pesticides, other chemicals and preservatives. Kate doesn’t use any sort of pesticides, or chemicals that can induce an allergic reaction which conversely is not the usual practice in larger organizations that grow similar products albeit in much larger quantities. Kate explained that in the polytunnel there are obviously pests that can be detrimental to the vegetation but there are also other pests higher on the food chain than them, so nature takes its course and the plants are grown with water and soil exclusively.

The fruit and vegetables we grow are given back to our local community and we hope that having the polytunnel here will inspire people to perhaps grow their own food. It’s tastier, cheaper and healthier than consumer bought products and is so easy to do yourself. It’s a great way to spend time with your children, educate them on healthy eating, nature and is a great bonding experience especially during the sunny weather! It’s also a fantastic hobby for elderly people as it is not too laborious, it’s cheap, easy to start, has a lot of depth to it and just like any hobby can be very addicting once you become immersed in it. Why not try it yourself and let us know how you get on? Start with something simple like lettuce, peas or radishes, water them every day, remove all the weeds and when they’re finished growing make something nice for yourself, you won’t regret it!

If you would like any more information or would like advice on growing your own fruits and vegetables just drop by!

Amy SVQ’s work

By | Activities in Beith, Community, Gallery, News | One Comment

Amy SVQ’s work

Her SVQ work is about business admin, word documents, banking, answering the phone and taking bookings for example, if somebody phones, she will make sure that the person is booked in for what he/she wished for (e.g. football) and she can check the relevant information that the person requires.

When she is writing, it motivates her that she knows she will finish soon and as quick as she can. She started as a volunteer and then moved on to sessional work, which directed her to one day a week working and after doing an extremely good work moved on to a full time  position.

Most of the information that she achieved and presented in her SVQ came from her common sense, she kind of knew the question and most of it was stuff she already knew.

Lorraine gives her stuff to do for next week, prepares her for what she will have to do and makes sure Amy knows what she will be working on the following week.

All her work and writing, also improved her skills on data bases, how to do invoices and banking and how to use Microsoft.

Right now she in working on finishing Level 3, which takes 3 months to do it , if you work quickly, and 9 months for most of the people. After she finishes her SVQ, she hopes that she will pass to the next level, a higher level which  will give her more work to do, but also she will be more satisfied and proud of her work because she reached Level 4.

When she started to do the SVQ she felt confident and sure. She also felt the pressure and got stressed when she had a deadline  with a lot of work, sometimes work which needed to be finished for the next day.

She is pretty proud that she managed to do the work in 3 months, she was happy and confident when she started it and now she is very pleased that she will finally finish it and go to the next challenging , Level 4.

I’m very happy and pleased that I’ve found out what Amy is doing and how she is enjoying it. It was a pleasure to have a conversation with her and also I’ve found out some interesting things about her work and also her future stuff. I wish her good luck in her career and she should never give up at what she is doing, because she is really good and has the ambition that allows  her to be motivated and always to believe in herself and her dreams because, I’m sure  she will have a great future.10345579_10203814500058606_636801869962581218_n 11126737_10205697764499040_7777238012172820736_n(1)

My first day of Work Experience – Livia Amzu

By | Activities in Beith, Community, News, Team Profiles | No Comments

This week I started work experience at Beith Community Development Trust it has only been my first day and I have already enjoyed it so much! I have created a blog and wrote some information about our new activities that children can get involved in and use their imagination during the lessons. It is a pleasure to write and announce new activities in our area that will stir interest and make people curious about new events.

The Beith Community Development Trust allows me to communicate and collaborate with interesting people that guide me to the right path. Also my vocabulary will improve a lot by writing about new events and will hep me understand that if you like your job, what you are writing and doing is coming from your passion and dedication, being a relaxing and not stressed work.

Beith Astro’s Ultimate Construction Team

I had the great honor of speaking to the three musketeers of construction, Ross, Stuart and Sean who are working as facility assistants for Beith Community Development Trust. I wanted to learn a bit about the guys and see how they have enjoyed their experience here. Ross aged 17 has been working here for a year, Stuart aged 20 has recently gained employment after all the hard work he did here volunteering for the Prince’s Trust and 15 year old Sean who just started his first day of volunteering today.

Ross, Stuart and Sean have been tasked with building a sheltered hut on the incline at the back of grounds for children to hide from the bad weather during the rain and to be enjoyed by all visitors of the Trust. The hut is coming along fantastically, the main structure is already built, been painted, and they have already started decorating the inside of the hut. I asked Stuart and Ross what they were getting out of this activity and if they had learned any new skills. Ross and Stuart agreed that one of the best aspects of their role was the fact that they get to work outside in the fresh air. Stuart told me “I never knew any of these skills before I started here” referring to the building and carpentry skills he has acquired while here, he told me that they will be great for his future career and will “help get a foot in the door of employment”. Ross agreed that he has learned a lot of useful skills and he gets a great sense of achievement from his works and loves to build things.

Ross and Stuart have met lots of new people from the local community since they started here and said it has been a very positive experience, they said that they feel more like a part a of the community since they started working here. It’s Sean’s first day and he’s still learning the ropes but he’s optimistic for the future and has already learned everyone’s name!

These guys are great addition to the Beith Trust team and brighten everyone’s day with their cheery demeanor and affinity to tea making!

DSC04551

Shortlisted for the Sports Leaders UK Young Leadership Trophy

By | Activities in Beith, Children & Families, Community, News, Sport | No Comments

Beith Trust have been shortlisted for the Sports Leaders UK Young Leadership Trophy which will be presented at their annual ceremony, Give More. Become More at the House of Lords.

Sports Leaders UK are celebrating the success of organisations who promote Sports Leadership by awarding the Young Leadership Award. They will be recognising the work of young sports leaders nationwide and the successes of their Leadership Academy programme.

To apply for these awards we had to create a video showcasing the hard work and efforts of all of our young sports leaders – click here to view the video.

Here at Beith Trust we have provided volunteering opportunities for home grown community sports leader participants by running a football tournament, the Corey cup which brings together children from across the Garnock valley, running the anti-sectarian festival and putting on summer and Easter sports activity camps.

All the young leaders involved felt like they learned how to work together in a team but also be a leader in their own right, they learned how to keep the attention of a group of children with fun and engaging activities.

Sean, 17 says “Sports leader has helped me to get a job as it showed me leadership skills and has enabled me to coach other teams at Beith Development Trust”

We are delighted to be in the final for the Sports Leader Award it would not be possible without all the young leaders and our coaches from the Garnock Valley and the wider region.

Mums Save the Planet

Recently we were lucky enough to spend the afternoon with some mums and toddlers in our local community centre discussing different ways to reduce food waste. Why do we care so much about this? As these wonderful mums will tell you, it is beneficial to shop smart and store our food in smart ways because it saves time, money … and the planet. Win win!

So what can you do at home?

1. You can buy seasonal food which reduces the air miles travelled from farm to plate
  2. You can select packaging that helps keep your food fresher for longer
  3. You can calculate your perfect portions to prevent making too much (this can be done at www.lovefoodhatewaste.com )
  4. Know your supermarket labels, remember food CAN be eaten past the best before date
  5. Store food appropriately and make use of the fridge and freezer to keep food fresher for longer

One of the best bits about the afternoon was hearing the mums come up with some delicious and creative meals from the list of ‘leftovers’ we gave them such as pizzas, stews, risottos, curry and more! We were really inspired by some of the ideas everyone came up with and it was so nice to see so many people actively engaged in this topic. Who wouldn’t want to save up to £700 per year whilst creating a greener world … and making more time to spend with each other rather than in the kitchen!

Soup Group Stars Serena and Kaleb Achieve Play Maker Award

By | Activities in Beith, Community | 2 Comments

At Soup Group we have given the kids have been given a brilliant opportunity to put in an hour a week for a 6 week course called the Play Maker Award. This gives them the opportunity to develop their social skills and leadership qualities while working towards a Sports Leader Qualification which they can use in the future. Each week they take part in activities that will help them realize what skills they need to be an effective leader, learn to plan activities, reflect and analyze which activities are best for learning specific skills. At the end of the 6 week course each participant must create an activity or game, present it to a group of their peers and lead the group during the game/activity. Recently long time Soup Group goers Serena and Kaleb finished their 6 week course and achieved the Play Maker Award, both Kaleb and Serena came up with excellent activities which all the other kids at soup group loved!

Kaleb’s game focused more on communication, improving motor skills and developing commonality with the rest of the group. The game involved passing a football around the group contingent on telling the rest of the group their likes and dislikes, everyone had a great time and it was a great bonding experience for the group.

Serena created a game based around developing physical skills such as balance and co-ordination, following instructions and teamwork. It involved a relay race based game where two teams would have to run a relay race but each point where the baton was to passed on there was station where various activities had to be completed before continuing with the race.

Each child displayed great organizational, communication and leadership skills, we are very confident that the skills developed during the achievement of this award will be put to excellent use by these bright young people!

Band Factory Super Star Abigail

By | Activities in Beith, Community, News | No Comments

IMG_0139 (2)Recently I had the chance to speak to Abigail, a music super star who attended the 2015 Band Factory. She is currently finishing the work on her port folio where she did amazing things like visit the dance crew “Diversity”. I asked her about her time at band factory and what she learned and enjoyed from the experience. Abigail learned how to play the snare drum along with a rock and roll beat to play on it. On top of the snare drum Abigail can also play the Cajón drum, the clarinet and takes private piano lessons.

This is the second band factory hosted by Beith Trust that Abigail has came to, after the first one she told her mum “I just want to play gigs all the time” a worrying thing for any parent to hear but fantastic to hear that she is so musically inspired! This year I asked if she felt the same way, she told me “yeah, I can’t wait to come back next year”.

It’s good to know that young people are taking an interest in music and more artistic hobbies like learning how to play an instrument. Music is a big part of social development and culture and we should cherish and implore our youth to take and interest. “Music speaks what cannot be expressed, soothes the mind and gives it a rest, heals the heart and makes it whole, flows from heaven to the soul.” – Unknown

By Jonny Carruthers

Beith Trust Invited by SPGD to Give Speech on Soup Group

By | Activities in Beith, Children & Families, Community | 2 Comments

Recently Beith Trust was invited by University West of Scotland to give a presentation at “What’s Love Got to Do with It?” an event held by SPDN (Social Pedagogy Development Network) at the Edinburgh Conference Centre about Soup Group.

Soup group is a local playgroup where children can come on a Wednesday night to socialize and play with other children in their age group. During soup group children take part in fun games, activities, make crafts, then we all sit round the camp fire and eat soup before getting in some more play time before hang to go home.

Participants at the event were very enthusiastic about Soup Group and it’s social impact and many participates described Soup Group as “Inspirational”. A lot of positive attention for Beith Trust and other organizations who strive to emulate similar activities.

Mini Gardeners Down at the Trust!

By | Activities in Beith, Children & Families, Community | No Comments

We had a lovely morning with some very happy children having fun in our sunny garden! We spent some time in our polytunnel learning about different vegetables, meeting some of the creepy crawlies that help protect our plants and learning what plants need to be able to grow big and strong! We all had some time to help thin the lettuces and plant our own individual lettuce so we can look after them watch them grow over the next few months … then we get to taste how delicious they are! Well done to everyone for getting their hands dirty today!

Soup Group in the Sunshine

By | Activities in Beith, Children & Families, Community, News | No Comments

Great fun at soup group last night! We all made the most of the sunshine by playing some games on the pitches. One of the games involved good observation skills and good team work which we realised doesn’t always mean developing a strategy but is sometimes more about being connected and aware within our team. Then, since everyone was feeling so happy and summery we started making an arts board explaining all of the things that make us smile! It will be up for you all to see soon!! We also went a bit crazy with the face paints and had some butterflies and vampires joining in our game of hide and seek afterwards 🙂 We also enjoyed some lovely soup and thanks to our wonderful volunteer Alex for bringing some goodies for us to enjoy too.

Prince’s Trust Fun Day!

We have the pleasure of having the Prince’s Trust volunteers back at the Astro for their end of course fun day. At the end of their course they were required to have a fun day and they asked us if they could hold it here, of course we were more than happy to oblige!

It’s great to have the volunteers back to have some fun with the local community after all of the hard work they put in down at the Trust. There are lots of activities for everyone to take part in, the bouncy castle is out, giant board games, bowling, beat the keeper and lots of other activities to take part in. The sun is out and everyone is having a great time, so thank you again to the Prince’s Trust volunteers for all your hard work and good company.

A Sad Day for Beith Astro!

By | Community | No Comments

It was a sad day for us at Beith Trust as one of our most loyal and memorable employees Ryan, left the Astro for the last time! Ryan was always a pleasure to have around the office always telling stories and jokes. I had a chance to talk to Ryan today before his last day was over. When asked if Ryan enjoyed working at Beith Trust he told me that he had worked here before and this was his second time back, Ryan  said that he was very happy he was asked to come back and hopes to see more of Beith Trust in the future. Ryan said that once he has left he will miss all of the staff more so than anything else. So what’s the plan for Ryan’s future? Well for the immediate future, he’s off on holiday with his children and wife in July and enjoying life. We will all miss you Ryan, wish for your good health and hope that we will see you in the future!

BEITH SE100 TOP IN SCOTLAND

By | Community, News | No Comments

Beith Community Development Trust was in the spotlight recently thanks to an article titled “Build it and they will come” published in Third Force News written by Paul Cardwell. The article covers Beith Community Development Trust making the Royal Bank of Scotland’s Social Enterprise 100 list.

Go and check out the article and find out more on this interesting and heartwarming story!

http://thirdforcenews.org.uk/environment-and-development/features/build-it-and-they-will-com

Gardening in our polytunnel

We have some exciting news to share with you about our amazing polytunnel!

For the past 6 weeks Lisa and Kate and a team of volunteers have been painstakingly emptying out and clearing out the growing blocks to make way for the over 10 different species of fruit and vegetables that we intend to grow!

From the crunchy carrot to the spicy radish and the tangy spring onions to the cool cucumber, we now have them growing inside our polytunnel.

But that is not all we have in our polytunnel. Coming soon we shall have a special vegetable visiting on time for Halloween – try not to waken what sleeps beneath the ground!

Stay tuned …

Written by Kate Wilkes

Easter Play Schemes 2015

By | Community, News, Sport | No Comments

Play Schemes has come to an end but it really was a fantastic two weeks! The kids all looked as if they had a blast and went home each day with giant smiles on their faces!

On week one we got off to a fantastic start where the kids got to play Frisbee and dodge ball and even do some quizzes with questions like ‘Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?’ and they would each have to run to the corner with the correct answer…..safe to say no one got that question wrong.

Day two started with a game of rounder’s followed by a very intense game of pop-up dodgeball which the kids absolutely loved and went on even longer than expected because they were having so much fun!

The kids got to join in on a Scavenger Hunt on day 3 where they were given a list things they had to find the search took place in the Beith Trust Garden and the kids managed to tick everything off their lists.

Week 2 didn’t begin so well with some rainy weather but we didn’t let that stop us and we went indoors to our eco lodge to play some fun games like hot potato, pass the hoop, Chinese whispers, crafting daisy chains and colouring in.

Once the weather brightened up we went outdoors to play some pop up dodgeball again as it was such a success last week!

On day 2 we kicked off the day with some outdoor games as the weather was much better. We played Hockey, Golf, Dodgeball and some more football. The kids also all got a chance to make their very own key rings to take home – there were some awesome designs!

On our very last day of play schemes we brought out the bouncy castle and the kids spent the morning bouncing around and playing tennis and some more dodgeball!

During the afternoon they all got a chance to play Tug-of-war and do some group building games which they all loved!

All in all everyone had a fantastic week and there were happy faces all round! We can’t wait to see everyone again for our next round of Play Schemes so keep an eye out on our facebook page for more info!

Insects

Spring is finally here! And when spring comes you can bet all your favourite (and unliked) insects will soon return to the countryside’s of the UK.
Insects (hexapods), millipedes (myriapods) and many others – even crabs – are members of the arthropods. They are the largest (and one of the oldest) collection of organisms in the world, the first recorded fossils dating back to Cambrian era, approximately 550 million years – yes million years ago!!!
Every insect and similar species today are the result of the evolutionary process from the ancient anthropods.
Last week we were surprised and ecstatic when we found a very rare seven spotted ladybird in our polytunnel. Ladybugs are important in removing pest species such as greenfly when you are growing food fruit and vegetables. They predate upon these pest species, so whenever you see one in your garden, leave it there to take care of your plants!
Other important anthropods include bees and butterflies. Bees, sadly are becoming endangered in the UK due to climate change and overuse of insecticides so please look after your bees and they will look after your flowers! Bees and butterflies are vital in pollination and are the reason that all plants grow. Bees also use the pollen to make a very important and natural product that millions of people around the world enjoy!
Spiders have been plentiful throughout the winter and spring months. These ‘pests’ are actually very helpful in ridding you of those pesky flies and midges in the house and garden. In the winter spiders head inside to escape the cold so even if you don’t like them, you should leave them alone to let them work their magic! Whenever you have one of these insects, always identify them before deciding on what to do with them incase hey are important. In the case of the bees, worms, and butterflies, leave them to work and your fruit and vegetables will be blooming in no time!

Stay tuned to learn more about your natural environment….

Written by Kate Wilkes

Beith Astro’s Easter Play Scheme is a Big Hit!

So we are just starting our second week of the Easter play scheme and after a very successful and busy first week the kids are back down at the Astro! Unfortunately the weather is a bit colder than we would like today but that’s not going to stop us! We spent a bit more time doing inside activities because of the rubbish weather starting of the day in the new eco-lodge playing some fun games like hot potato, pass the hoop, Chinese whispers, crafting daisy chains and coloring in.

After that we had everyone get ready to play some dodge-ball outside on the Astro. After attacking each other with rubber balls it was time for everyone to have a break and grab some food. We had the tv and video games set up to keep everyone occupied while they were inside hiding away from the bad weather.

A great start to the second week of the Easter Play Scheme, the Astro is buzzing with energy and everyone is having a good time! If you would like to get involved please don’t hesitate to get in touch!

This week sees the start of Beith Trusts fantastic Band Factory 2015!

Beith Trust brings together talented young musicians, singers and songwriters from all over the Garnock Valley and far flung places like Kilwinning for a week of intensive work that will produce top quality performances in a one off gig this Saturday night, 11th April 2015, upstairs at the Garnock Valley Health and Fitness Centre.

I got a chance to go and visit all the awesome and insanely talented kids taking part in Band Factory this year. Many of the kids are returning for a second year running after having such an amazing time at last year’s event.

On day 2 the kids are all gaining more confidence and are all a lot chattier than yesterday. They looked like they are having a blast and even on their lunch break are still talking about musical arrangements and harmonies.

They are split into 4 different bands depending on ages and talents and they get a chance to play lots of different songs from Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson to Should I stay or should I go by The Clash.

I got a chance to listen to one of the band’s first run through of Uptown Funk and I cannot wait to hear the finished version at the Gig on Saturday. The boys were not too happy about having to play Uptown Funk instructor Neil says ‘It pushes them outside their comfort zone and helps them learn new skills that they didn’t know they had.’

I spoke with Lily who attended Band Factory last year she says it has ‘really improved her confidence’ and she looks very excited for the week ahead.

At the end of the week after all their hard work the children will be awarded an Arts Award through Beith Trust which is the equivalent to a Standard Grade.

I can’t wait for the Gig on Saturday and hope everyone else can make it! It is set to be a fantastic night full of talented kids and great music!

International Day of Sport for Development and Peace

By | Community, News, Sport

This Monday the 6th of April is International Day of Sport for Development and Peace and at Beith Astro we will be celebrating this day of annual sport recognition. We believe that an integration of sport in the community is a social and economic asset to our local area. Down here we are around sport every day but not every community has local access to sport facilities and for low income families they are not able to afford transport to their nearest sport facility.

This newly adopted day of recognition signifies the increasing recognition by the United Nations of the positive influence that sport can have on the advancement of human rights, and social and economic development.

Monday marks the 2nd International Day of Sport Development and Peace and the United Nations Office on Sport for Development and Peace is organizing an open video contest with the intent of showing off the works of organizations all over the world that committed to uplifting their communities through sport.

“Sport has become a world language, a common denominator that breaks down all the walls, all the barriers. It is a worldwide industry whose practices can have widespread impact. Most of all, it is a powerful tool for progress and for development” – Ban Ki-moon, UN Secretary-General 

#sportforbetterworld

#IDSDP2015

sports-banner

Easter Sunday Funday at The Saracen Head Hotel

By | Activities in Beith, Children & Families, Community, Gallery, News | No Comments

Easter Sunday got off to a cracking start today at The Saracen Head Hotel, 10 – 12 Eglinton St, Beith,  who kindly hosted an Easter Streetmeet for local children and families.

Children and familes who came along were  treated to tea & toast before they got practicing with  lots of different arts and crafts materials and then started to decorate their very own Easter Eggs.  The kids spent a lot of time an effort creating their cheerfully decorated colourful eggs.

ResizePic3

Even the Bellsdale Badger popped in for a visit and helped out with the egg decorating.

resizedpic11

Lots of very happy children and families left The Saracens Head at lunchtime all set to roll their eggs up the Bigholm just as the sun came out,   hopefully they went on to have a great time with their eggs and treats.

A big well done to The Saracen Head Hotel for their kindness and generosity this Easter Sunday.

HAPPY EASTER – ENJOY YOUR HOLIDAYS!!

If you would like to host your very own Streetmeet for a community get together, get in touch with Beith Trust who will help organise something special for you

For more pictures check out our facebook albums 

The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Volunteers Down at the Astro!

By | Community, News

The DofE gives young people aged between 18-24 an opportunity to learn skills that can greatly benefit their lives, help them obtain employment and achieve a brighter future. I had the opportunity to speak to some of these young adults while they spent time here and they nothing but good things to say for the DofE and the opportunity they have been given. They are confident that the skills they’ve learned will help them obtain employment and start a career. In summary the DofE provides an excellent service for young people and can leaving a positive and lasting impression in your local community.

Recently we had volunteers from the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award down at the Beith Trust helping out and making beautiful crafts to decorate the place and improve the grounds. Everything they created for us was made from recycled wooden decking and pallets. They built flower beds to go in the poly tunnel, a metal throne, beautiful paintings on the walls and they even made an excellent gift for the local primary school. They drew the silhouettes of famous characters like Olaf the snowman from the Disney Film “Frozen”, Butterfly’s and flowers onto pieces of wood, cut them out and then painted black board paint on them. They took these uniquely shaped blackboards to the local school to be used.

The whole time they were here it was a joy and thanks to their fantastic craftsmanship and keen artistic eye they have left a visible impression on our place of work.

By Jonathan Carruthers10698576_828684597194784_8269741306550881673_n

Breakfast Club!!

By | Community, News, Upcoming Events

Beith Astro is starting its new Breakfast Club on Tuesday 28th of April! It will be held twice a week on a Tuesday and Wednesday. Bring your kids round to Beith Astro at 7.50am to enjoy breakfast with other children. Everyone will take part in some fun activities at 8.10am until 8.30am where staff will accompany everyone up to school. If you have a busy morning, work early or your children would like to come along then please give us a call!

Breakfast Club is £1.50 a day and don’t worry it’s nothing like the movie!

Excellent Prince’s Trust Courses You Should Check Out!

By | Community, News

Prince’s Trust is launching the new “Get Into” and “Get Started” courses which may just the thing for you if you’re looking to improve your CV or get a taste of career path before you commit to something? Here’s a list of their courses, if you’re interested check the details at the bottom of the page for how to apply!

Prince's Trust Icon

Get into Customer Service

In partnership with HSBC

Deadline for application: 2nd April 2015

Course starts: 5th May 2015

Overview:

•  6 week course, 5 days a week
  • Must be aged between 16 – 25
  • Able to pass a credit check and PVG

Full training provided in all aspects of telephone banking including customer service skills, sales skills, product awareness and complaint handling

•     Gain experience in a live call centre environment
  •     Employment opportunities available
  •     Develop interview & CV skills
  •     Help and support towards securing employment
  •     Travel expenses will be reimbursed
  •     Benefits will not be affected (there is a training allowance for those not eligible for benefits)

Person Specification:

•    Be employment ready
  •    Have an interest in customer service
  •    Be professional and have strong communication skills
  •    Be able to work the hours expected of this industry once employment secured including evenings and weekends
  •     Able to follow instructions

Get into Customer Service

In partnership with Revival Retreat

Deadline for application: 19th March

Course starts: 30th March 2015

Overview:

•    4 week course, 5 days a week
  •    Must be 16 – 25 to apply
  •     Chance to gain certificate in Principles of Customer Service in Hospitality, Leisure, Travel and Tourism.
  •     Learn about personal grooming (manicures and make up etc)
  •     Training received in relation to sales, reception skills and customer care
  •     Work placements available in Spa’s etc
  •    Develop interview & CV skills
  •    Help and support towards securing employment
  •    Travel expenses will be reimbursed
  •     Benefits will not be affected (there is a training allowance for those not eligible for benefits) 

Person Specification:

•    Be employment ready
  •    Have an interest in gaining customer service experience for the leisure and beauty industry
  •    Be well presented and professional
  •    Be able to work hours expected of this industry once employment secured including weekends etc
  •    Have good customer service skills/be customer focused

Get into Retail

In partnership with Marks and Spencers

Deadline for application: 20th March 2015

Course starts: 30th March 2015

Overview:

•    4 week course, 5 days a week
  •    Must be 16 – 25 years old to apply
  •    Receive training from an experienced team
  •    Gain in-depth training in the retail industry by completing work experience with Marks and Spencers
  •    Learn about stock rotation and control, good customer service and selling skills
  •    Improve your confidence, interview skills and your CV at the same time
  •    Guaranteed interview on successful completion of the course
  •    Direct employment opportunities available with Marks and Spencers
  •    Receive up to six months support after the programme

Person Specification:

•    Be employment ready
  •    Have an interest retail/fashion/cafe work etc
  •    Be able to work hours expected of this industry once employment secured – late/shifts/weekends etc
  •    Have good customer service skills/be customer focused

Get into Hospitality

In partnership with City of Glasgow College

Deadline for application: 12th March

Course starts: 23rd March 2015

Overview:

•    5 week course, 5 days a week
  •    Must be aged between 16 – 25 to apply
  •    Chance to gain REHIS Food and Hygiene, REHIS Health and Safety and Scottish Certificate for Personal License Holder
  •    Training from qualified professionals in Bistro training, Non Alcoholic Cocktails preparation, Licensing, Police and Drug Awareness
  •    2 week work placement available for on the job training suitable for front of house experience
  •    Attend hotel visit and tour of City Chambers
  •    Help and support towards securing employment

Person Specification:

•    Be employment ready
  •    Have an interest in gaining front of house and customer service experience
  •    Be able to work hours expected of this industry once employment secured – late/shifts/weekends etc
  •    Have good customer service skills/be customer focused (Front of house)

Get Started with Cooking

in partnership with City of Glasgow College

Deadline for application: 16th April 2015

Course starts: 27th April 2015

Overview:

•     1 week course, 5 days
  •     Must be between 16 – 25 to apply
  •     Learn basic cooking skills such as;
  •     Easy to follow recipe completion
  •     Nutritional value of food
  •     Gain more confidence in a training setting
  •     Build your own team working experience and confidence

Get Started with Hair & Beauty

Deadline for application: 31st March 2015

Course starts: 13th April 2015

Overview:

•     1 week course, 5 days
  •     Must be between 16 – 25 years old to apply
  •     Learn basic hair & beauty treatments such as;
  •     Nails
  •     Hair conditioning
  •     Makeup
  •     Tanning

Get into Cooking

Deadline for application: 23rd April 2015
Course starts: 4th May 2015

Overview:

•    5 week course, 5 days a week
  •    Training from qualified professionals
  •    REHIS Food hygiene qualification and Health & Safety
  •    At least 1 weeks work experience
  •    Help and support towards getting a job
  •    Benefits will not be affected (there is a training allowance for those not eligible for benefits)

Person Specification:

•    Be employment ready
  •    Have an interest in cooking
  •    Able to follow instructions
  •    Be able to work hours expected of this industry once employment secured – early/late/shifts/weekends etc
  •     Able to work as part of a team
  •     Be able to work in a fast paced environment

Get Into Security

Deadline for application: 9th April 2015
Course starts: 20th April 2015

Overview:

•    5 week course, 5 days a week 9-5pm
  •    Aged 18 – 25
  •    Training from qualified professionals
  •    Gain qualifications such as; Door supervision, CCTV training, first aid and fire marshal
  •    Gain an SIA Door Supervision and CCTV Licenses
  •    Help and support towards getting a job
  •    Benefits will not be affected
  • Must have a passport, driving license or original birth certificate and have no convictions, including fines, in the last 2 years.

[download id=”3435″]

Prince’s Trust Group Working Hard at Beith Astro

By | Community, News

Another day of hard work for the Prince’s Trust Group at Beith Astro! Recently I have had the pleasure of meeting the hard workers from the Prince’s Trust group that have been traveling down to Beith Astro to build a chicken run and a hut with log burner in the centre.

The weather has left a lot to be desired but has not dented the morale of these young workers! I asked around to find out what these young volunteers expected to get from their experience here. Despite being from the North, East and South Ayrshire all had come for similar reasons.Most of the young adults I spoke to expressed that they were here to gain work experience for future work and to put on their CV’s. Many expressed that they desire a future vocation working outdoors. It was fantastic to see such a large group of young people from all over Ayrshire working together and enjoying socializing.

All of the volunteers were split into teams and managed by their excellent team leaders. I spoke to the team leaders to find out what their daily role working with these young people entails. They provide support and encouragement for these young workers and help work on their team building skills. To help show the importance of working in a team and to support each other. They explained that work like this can help to instill a work ethic in youths and show that it can be rewarding and fun to work as part of a team and obtain a goal together.

Overall the Prince’s Trust seems to provide a very valuable experience that can help young people build upon skills and experiences to help establish a career and find future work.

To get involved or learn more about the Prince’s Trust visit: http://www.princes-trust.org.uk/

Easter is Coming!

By | Community, News

Beith Astro is holding an Easter Play Scheme filled with lots of exciting activities for all your Easter needs. If you’re looking for something to do during the Easter holidays and fancy getting involved come on down! There’s so much on there will definitely be something on for you!
We have football, rounders, hockey, dodge ball, Frisbee, arts and crafts, plus many more! If you want to get involved check the details below, need any more information just give us a call!A3 Play Schemes

Another Awesome Evening at Soup Group

By | Community, News

Another night of fun games, getting messy and drinking soup for the kids of Beith this week at soup group where fun was had by all!soupgroup1
Thanks to the good weather everyone got to enjoy the sun tonight and have a break from the miserable rain. Everyone split into groups on the astro and started with a relay race, followed by some footy games and an exciting game of rounders.

With all of the games and activities finished we all gathered round the camp fire and enjoyed soup together, then into the trees for a wee bit of hide and seek.

Soup group is a great opportunity for your kids to socialize with other local kids, play games and there’s soup of course! If you’d like to find out more or get involved, please get in touch with us.

Kids Getting Artsy at Crafternoon

By | Community, News

Are your kids looking for something to do after school? Or an activity you can take part in together? Well Beith Trust’s Carfteroon could be the just the thing you’re looking for!

crafternoon1

Crafternoon inspires your children to get involved with new skills and become more creative. Each Tuesday is a new and exciting experience, from painting with watercolor and pastels to knitting scarfs for the icy weather.

Why not stay with you child and get involved, perhaps create a work of art together. Kids of all ages and adults are welcome to come for tea, cakes and a creative crafting time.

Due to start up again soon with even more fun activities Crafternoon will be held on Tuesdays from 3:30pm till 5:00pm, come join us for an afternoon of fun soon!

Check out the pictures below to see how much fun the last block of Crafternoon’s were!

Beith Trust in RBS SE100

By | Community, News

Beith Community Development Trust was in the spotlight recently thanks to an article titled “Build it and they will come” published in Third Force News written by Paul Cardwell. The article covers Beith Community Development Trust making the Royal Bank of Scotland’s Social Enterprise 100 list.

Go and check out the article and find out more on this interesting and heartwarming story!

http://thirdforcenews.org.uk/environment-and-development/features/build-it-and-they-will-come

Food Talk with CCF

By | Community, Uncategorized

This December Climate Challenge Fund hosted a food project network event  which two of our team went along to.

Drinking camomile tea

Drinking camomile tea

We love growing things here at Beith Community Development Trust and always look forward to getting ideas for new ways to grow food!

CCF has been involved with projects across Scotland which grow food, develop skills and land to grow food and even run cookery classes and deal with food waste. So for this one day representatives from projects across Scotland, with one lady coming all the way from Barra, came together to share ideas and encourage each other.

We also heard from the organisers of the Nourish conference back in October (we loved being at this too) and refreshed our memories and talk about the big picture of Scotland and food or lack of it.

So aside from getting to have good ol’ chin wag what did we learn?

Well among many other things we learned that you can grow mushrooms in a book and that garlic needs to sit in the ground during a frost before it can grow and make our meals so delicious!

We also learnt a bit more about foodbanks and why we shouldn’t just accept that they’re here to stay but do something about it, we talked about all the food that big companies throw out which could be eaten and we talked about getting to know our communities by having big meals together!

All in all it was an interesting and inspiring day.

A Guy Fawks Street Meet

By | Community, Past Events

Beith Community Development Trust held a Guy Fawks Bonfire Street Meet party which was both very well attended and enjoyed. A very large bonfire was built in the new fire pit which is surrounded by benches made out of recycled palettes.

Families attending enjoyed healthy food cooked on the BBQ, homemade pumpkin pie and roasted marshmallows whilst children played with sparklers and glow sticks around the fire.

The children and their families from both the regular soup group and Carbon Crib stayed to enjoy the event and introduced the new participants to the many dens build in the forest on the hill behind Beith Astro.

What is a Street Meet?

Beith community development trust are engaging the community in an exciting project called ‘Streetmeets’, funded through the people’s health trust  A ‘Streetmeet’ is a ‘party delivered to your door’ which is fully organised and financially supported through the project.

This wonderful idea was created to build on social opportunities within the community with the trust providing a gazebo, arts and crafts, sports activities, a BBQ, food and drink, entertainment such as music, magicians, circus tricks and more and will provide seating areas for your comfort too.

The Streetmeets previously held have been a great success with good turnout and a great atmosphere. People who attended the Streetmeets told the trust that they felt less isolated in the community and had met new friends as a result of the project and that they would be keen to see more of these events in their area.

As a result we have planned several Streetmeets throughout Beith over the coming months, and are keen to see everybody there!

If you would like to host a Streetmeet in your street, or an indoor space at no cost of effort to yourself then please don’t hesitate to contact us. Information can be obtained through the Beith community development trust website and Facebook pages.

Carbon Crib – An update

By | Community

Beith Community Development Trust are now involved with Junior Climate Challenge Fund and keep Scotland beautiful in an exciting youth led project; the Carbon Crib, aiming to help the community of Beith lead the way in environmentally friendly living. These enthused young people are growing their own food in the community garden space, coined their ‘food classroom’ giving them a sense of where their food comes from and feel a sense of connection with food and self -sustainability. The youths are involved in planting, caring for and harvesting the food and enjoying it through social activities such as veggie BBQs and outdoor activities.

In our attempt to reduce waste, therefore landfill figures, we are also developing a strong motivation for the Reduce, Reuse and Recycle concept.

As a means of reducing food waste the people of the community are encouraged to bring food waste for our composting areas, or alternatively, they can contact BCDT and we can collect the compost material on our collection bicycle. The community are also encouraged to bring food scraps for our free range chickens, or food to share at our social events. We also hope to inspire the people of the community to begin growing food at home, or to buy locally grown food reducing air miles through food transportation, therefore reducing carbon emissions.

The youths are also leading by example in eco -friendly food consumption by eating at least 1 vegetarian meal per week. Due to the fact that 60% of the world’s grain is fed to livestock and that 80% of the deforested areas of the amazon rainforest are now used for livestock farming, we are asking the community to join us in ‘meat free Mondays’ and we would love you to share your vegetarian recipes on our Facebook page to help inspire others, one meal per week makes a huge difference, over a period of a year, one person can reduce carbon emissions by a significant amount. By eating just one les burger each week, you reduce carbon emissions equivalent to driving 320 less miles in your car.  Check out our monthly meet free Mondays’ competitions on Facebook too!

As a means of reducing household waste we have created a ‘donation point’ at the development trust. This is an area where unwanted clothes, books, DVDs, electrical goods, furniture and ornamental items can be dropped off whilst attending the ‘carbon crib’ club and the staff at the trust will be happy to transport the unwanted goods to local charity shops, injecting money back into the community, and simultaneously reducing landfill, resulting in a reduction in carbon emissions produced.

The youths are keen to promote recycling at home and have been learning all about what materials can be recycled, how to buy eco -friendly products and how to buy ethical products, promoting fair trade and local businesses.

The project also aims to recycle as many materials as possible within the community garden. This may include recycling wood into structures such as tree houses, shelters and seating areas, bicycle wheels into decorations, fencing into chicken enclosures, buckets into growing spaces, stone into herb gardens, containers into water conservation areas and household waste into decorative items and practical activities.

We are striving for all households to be connected with the effect of living on the environment and to educate the next generation on ways to create a more sustainable future. We are achieving this through practical, fun outdoor activities, educational plays and workshops, which can also be delivered to your organisation. Please also tune into our Facebook page every Friday for your ‘Friday fact’ on climate change.

Carbon crib is held on a Wednesday evening, Friday evening and Saturday afternoon and is open to everyone in the community, especially children from Primary to secondary school age.  Please see Beith community development trust website and Facebook page for more details.

Beith Defibrillator Training

By | Community

Throughout this year BCDT have been working hard to raise money to purchase a Defibrillator, after a number of successful fundraising event enough money was collected. BCDT purchased a defibrillator and registered it on the Public Access Defibrillator scheme through the British Heart Foundation, this means that  if someone nearby goes into cardiac arrest when you call 999, the operator can tell you if there’s a public access defibrillator now located at Beith Astro.

Aviary Photo_130595923670820505

To increase awareness that the defibrillator was in the town an information leaflet was delivered to every home in Beith, Barrmill and Gateside. As well as this a digital marketing campaign was set up to promote the location of the defibrillator and a training event was organised. The training event took place in Beith Community Centre and was delivered by the Garnock Valley First Responders.

5 reasons to join BCDT

By | Community

Beith Community Development Trust are a community led group of staff and volunteers who work on projects that benefit Beith and the surrounding areas. Our aim is to improve the mental and physical fitness of the Beith community, BCDT continuously develops a number of projects to create a more vibrant Beith.

The work that BCDT does is pretty useless without participation and engagement from the community, therefore it important that the community show their support through membership.

Membership is free, but if you’re still not convinced here are 5 reasons to love us and want to join us!

1. Meet Free Mondays

Every Monday all of #TeamBCDT join each other in only eating meat free meals, BCDT are encouraging the community to join them in this effort to combat climate change. Currently a competition is being held, participants are asked to simply post a picture of their meat free Monday Meal on the BCDT Facebook page accompanied by the recipe and the best entry will be picked at the end of November.

Aviary Photo_130595815358673311

2. Therapets

Anyone who has ever visited the BCDT office or joined in a project here will know that we are an animal friendly place. Not only do we have 5 big beautiful hens in their fantastic coop outside, the BCDT office is also a dog friendly working environment. On a daily basis Frodo, Daisy and Poppy the doggies keep #Team BCDT spirits up.

Aviary Photo_130595837529545459

3. Children’s education & Entertainment

Every week clubs like the Soup Group and Carbon Crib provide both educational and entertaining projects for local children to get involved with. Both groups have seen a real surge in members recently and some great progress has been made including; building a colourful ‘Carbon Crib’ sign for the garden out of recycles materials such as bike wheels and wood from old palettes, raised beds, an outdoor herb garden out of recycled concrete tunnels, a scare crow, vegetable beds and colourful chicken coop decorations which are said to stimulate chickens brains.

Aviary Photo_130595864572866273

4. We like you to PARTY

BCDT’s Street Meet parties are becoming more of a frequent event throughout the streets of Beith, in fact on average there are 2 parties a week at the moment. Street Meet parties are free of charge to the community and give you a taste of the BCDT fun in the comfort of your own neighbourhood.

Aviary Photo_130595868589988094

5. We believe in Beith

We believe firmly in not only bringing money into Beith but we also believe in keeping it here. That is why when BCDT need a contractor or are looking for an outsiders help to deliver some project work we look in before we look out. Only if we cannot find the help we need in Beith do we then look elsewhere in Ayrshire. BCDT have recently secured a project with Glasgow School of Art, you can read more about this project here, but this has allowed us to bring value into the community and keep it here. in this example, the value was brains, creativity and power through people.

Aviary Photo_130595868969058070So if you have read this and thought ‘WOW these guys are doing some awesome work’ then please do become a member, its free what’s the worst that could happen!

Holidays Are Happy Days

By | Community

Many of you may have been hearing joyful giggling and the patter of small and medium feet coming from the garden at BCDT recently. If you’ve been getting curious as to what we’re up to here is your answer:

Play Dates!

Led by our talented and dedicated play team, youngsters from around Beith have been getting outside and playing the way only children can!

We’ve been digging and planting. The girls and boys have been really enjoying being part of the gardening work that is going on here at Beith Community Development Trust. It’s great fun as well as very satisfying to know that you have helped something to grow even if it sometimes it takes a bit of patience to wait for it to grow.

There have been crafts going on too with very colourful painting and even making piñatas which we have no doubt will be as fun to smash to pieces as they were to build. We also built a volcano and watched as it exploded out of the ground – science is fun.

volcano

Of course we’ve been running, jumping and even occasionally staying very still as everyone explores outside including some very energetic time spent bouncing on the bouncy castle.

bounce

All in all it’s been another great set of play dates for all involved.

We run play dates over the school holidays and they are only £6 per day or £15 for three days together so keep an eye out for play dates when school holidays come around.

Carbon Cribs makes outdoor learning fun for all

By | Community

The Carbon Crib project continues to gather speed and more young members, the community growing project which is led by young people and supported by BCDT staff have recently been very busy outside the Beith Astro building.

Most recent endeavors include;

1. A colourful Carbon Crib sign

carbon crib 5

The Carbon Crib’ers took great pride in creating their own colourful ‘Carbon Crib’ sign for their garden out of recycles materials such as bike wheels and wood from old palettes.

2. Recycled raised beds

carbon crib 4

All of the Crib’ers have greatly enjoyed not only building raised beds out of old pieces of wooden decking , but also filling them with lots of stinky fertilizer and mud and planting seeds.

3. An outdoor herb garden

carbon crib 3

A few outdoor herb and vegetable garden have been created in areas of unused land around the Beith Astro building and is recycled concrete tunneling donated by a local business.

4. A scarecrow

IMG_1500

To protect the new herd gardens from the birds and other critters a very scary scarecrow has been built using recycled straw and plastic bags.

5 A bright chicken coop

10701925_774890729240838_4586753180310487416_n

The chicken coop has been brightened up by painting recycling bicycle wheels which would otherwise have gone to landfill. They were used to create colourful enrichment for the chickens … did you know chickens see colour better than humans do? You can even clicker train them to show you specific colours when you ask them to,they are very intelligent. If you would like to see this in action then check out this video of chicken camp clicker training.

6. Hosted a veggi bbq

foodprint5

Our carbon crib’ers hosted a veggi BBQ. Most of you are probably wondering why veggi? There are associations between our food consumption and our carbon footprint, if you would like to read more into this visit here. During the BBQ the cribb’ers drew beautiful rainbows and shared with each other all the fruit and veg they know that matched the colours in the rainbow. BCDT’s staff member Lisa can’t wait until the crib’ers to come back next week and tell her how many colours of the rainbow they have eaten this week.

Events Calendar

« November 2017 » loading...
M T W T F S S
Wed 22

Fast way to 5K

October 4 @ 6:30 pm - December 6 @ 8:30 pm
Wed 22

Mindfulness Course #2

October 10 @ 6:30 pm - November 28 @ 8:30 pm
Wed 22

Beginners Crochet

October 18 @ 6:00 pm - November 22 @ 8:00 pm