Category

Community

Laughter Lines

By | Community

Beith Community Development Trust have commissioned local organisation Dragon Dynamics to deliver stress management classes once each week to the local community.

Dragon Dynamics is dedicated to empowering others to achieve a greater life potential through the use of innovative and transformative techniques. To find out more about Dragon Dynamics led by Lesley visit the website here.

laughter_Lines_a5_flyer

Every Wednesday evening from 7pm -8pm for 6 weeks from the 1st of October Dragon Dynamics will host workshops in Beith Juniors Hut at Bellsdale Park.

The Laughter Lines workshops cost just £2 per week and each workshop will look at different remedies to tackling stress. To book your spot call 01505228141 or turn up on the evening.

Community, Community, Community!!!

By | Community

As a community development trust it is really important to us here at #TeamBCDT that we are supporting other local groups, teams, clubs, organisations and businesses in Beith and the surrounding Garnock Valley. Recently we have employed an array of new measures to try to do so.

Community Meetings

A number of community meetings have taken place over the last few months, we have strived to invite all local groups, teams, clubs, organisations and businesses, although this is not always possible. The most recent meeting took place on Monday the 6th of October at Beith Community Center and unfortunately was not very well attended. However, it was still possible to derive some interesting information from the participants who were in attendance. The purpose of last weeks gathering was to encourage collaboration between all of the many organisations operating in the Garnock Valley, increase awareness of each others aims and objective and most importantly to create conversation and build friendships. One participants requested a Community Calendar be made available to all organisations to prevent overlaps in events.

Community Calendar

Screenshot (71)

BCDT introduced a Community Calendar several months back and we make good use of this tool to promote our own events, clubs and groups. We welcome any other group who wishes to make use of the community calendar, all we ask is that you send us the relevant information to info@beithtrust.org. We require;

1. Name of event

2. Time and date

3. Location (including address)

4. Event/ Group details (only a few sentences are needed)

5. Picture if suitable

6. Details of dates if it a reoccurring event

Community Directory

Screenshot (70)

Further to the Community Calendar we have added a Community Directory tool to our website also, this allows local organisations to enter their information such as contact details, Twitter and Facebook links, website link, photographs and opening times. This will make it easier for people in Beith to find your organisations and its details.

Details of how to insert your organisations profile can be found on the Community Directory page.

Band Factory

By | Community

10427213_146651488838944_5371432156911063941_n

How many of us when we were younger dreamed of being a rock star or being in a band? Well on Friday 15th this dream got a little closer for 20 young people from our community.

Louis, Robbie, Rachel, Rahael, Abigail, Antonia, Morven, Gregor, John, Lily, Sarah, Emily, Paul, Craig, Calum, Erin, Eilidh, Jay, Rebecca and Euan from across Garnock Valley put on a brilliant gig at the Function Suite in the Eglinton, Beith. After only a week of rehearsals with performances by 4 bands, and 4 solo singers the guys were real professionals; impressing the audience and making the most of their sudden rise to musical stardom.

So how did it all come about? Well it all started when these two creative groups decided to work together and make music:

Unlicensed Events is a community project, part of Beith Community Development Trust, based in Beith, North Ayrshire. They are devoted to stimulating imagination and creativity in the community.

Model X Media is a Community Interest Company that delivers Creative Projects to those who want and uses the profits to provide for those who need them.

With Unlicensed Events spearheading the Band Factory project Model X Media provided the talented Tosh, Graham and Neal, three skilled musicians to mentor and work with our musical prodigies over the course of 5 days.

What a night! Band Factory gig was amazing – well done to all our performers, absolutely superb! The week flew by and all you young people should be really proud with what you achieved this week.’

Over the course of the week it was great to see that all of our musicians grew both in confidence and skill. They qualified for the opportunity by having a ‘skill or talent’ either being able to play (whatever level) a musical instrument or the ability (again whatever level) to sing.

‘Band Factory was fantastic, it was amazing to watch the progress the participents made in just 5 days, getting together for the first time on Monday and being ready to perform on Saturday night.  During Band Factory, one of our new bands wrote a song, composed the music for it, and played it at the gig – incredible!   At the gig, each and every one of the performers was brilliant, and the crowd loved it.  What a lot of young talent in the Garnock Valley!  It wasn’t just about the music though, some of the kids were quite shy to begin with but as the week went on their confidence grew, and friendships were formed.  They really supported each other throughout the week and at the gig, real teamwork. Superb! ’

More videos from the gig can be found on our YouTube page and the Unlicensed Events Facebook page.

If this sounds like something you or someone you know would have loved to be part of – never fear:

‘It was the first Band Factory, but definitely not the last

Great news is that we’ve spoken to Model X Media, and have booked them for another Band Factory which will be week beginning Monday 6th April 2015, and will run Mon-Fri with a gig on Saturday 11th April 2015. Cost will be £10 for the full week. Venues to be confirmed. Places can be reserved now, and will be confirmed when booking form and £10 fee is received. Please contact gill.ritchie@beithtrust.org to book a space.

Don’t miss out on your chance at musical stardom!

Celebrating our Celebrate Smugglers

By | Community

Last night BCDT hosted a very informal reward ceremony evening for the wonderful volunteers who joined us in becoming smugglers for a day.

Just a few weeks back these kids hoisted themselves back in time, through fancy dress and delivered both a thrilling and wonderful tale to a small audience. They told the story of Beith’s smuggling history, of the boats that would sneak and snake silks and teas into our waters, of the men that would then transport these wonderful treasures across the land, stopping at Beith as that was as far as a horse and carriage could go back then.

10258691_713443295385582_1846113644935124420_o 10287048_713443835385528_7922901572671177778_o

The Smugglers story telling event is just one of many fabulous event that Gill Ritchie the Arts Coordinator here at BCDTG has organised in Beith as we celebrate the 2014 Commonwealth Games and our connections with the other commonwealth nations, for more info see here.

We have to thank our wonderful volunteers as without them there would have been no play, no tale and no fun. So last night we invited them along to the Beith Juniors Hut and not only rewarded each and every one of them with a beautiful certificate but also an envelope with some of their own loot.

Sorry there no opportunity to get a shot of the food before it was gorged.

Sorry there no opportunity to get a shot of the food before it was gorged.

Following the awards giving we treated them all to a great feast of pizza, chips, garlic bread, giant onion rings and fizzy juice. Because although we encourage a healthy lifestyle, theres always space for a treats when you help your community like these kids have.[portfolio_slideshow id=2548]

BCDT give Bigotry the Boot

By | Community, News
10169240_693074950755750_8424633974644534878_n

BCDT Anti-sectarian Award Ceremony at Beith Astro

Children from all over the Garnock Valley came together at Beith Astro in a football festival which was a culmination of a 7 week programme of activities designed by Beith Community Development Trust.

‘Give Bigotry the Boot’ covered the meaning of anti-sectarianism, how to challenge sectarian behaviour, how to resolve situations in the community and much more.   One class from each year group from  Garnock Academy, St Bridgets, Gateside, Beith, Moorpark, Glengarnock and St Palladius took part in sessions which  covered the meaning of anti-sectarianism, how to challenge sectarian behaviour, how to resolve and negotiate differences and much more.

The children really enjoyed exploring the subject  and feedback from participants has been excellent, with comments from children such as “It doesn’t matter what religion you are when you’re playing football or anything else”, “you should treat people the same as you would expect to be treated”, “you can be friends with someone from a different town”.

The anti-sectarian festival was very well attended with around 180 participants, representatives from Paisley St Mirren FC, Celtic FC, Rangers FC and Strathclyde Police. Beith Community Development Trust volunteers and staff turned out in force to ensure that the day ran smoothly by delivering skills programmes, mini football games and supporting all the children.  The programme was funded by Voluntary Action Fund.

My 1st Month Volunteering with BCDT

By | Community, News

IMAG2647-1024x577

Starting Off

My name’s Billy Walker (you can learn more about me here) and I recently joined the Beith Community Development Trust in a voluntary role.

It may seem like a cliché or cheesy thing to say but volunteering here has been brilliant so far and very rewarding. The atmosphere is awesome and it’s such a nice, upbeat place to spend time. The experience I have gained so far in the workplace could potentially be pivotal in helping me to land job roles in the future. It’s already helped me to get interviews that I wouldn’t have probably gotten otherwise!

Putting Skills to Good Use

I have studied Radio Broadcasting to HND level for the past 3 years and had been struggling to find work that would put the skills I had gained, media-wise, to any use. In my NQ year of college education, the course wasn’t focused solely on Radio but rather let the students experiment with different areas of the creative industries such as film production, photography, desktop publishing, journalism and, of course, radio and presenter skills. In my first week here, I have been able to put 3 of those skills to good practice.

In today’s world, it’s important to be a jack-of-all-trades type, especially if you’re focused on a career in the media industry. It used to be that people were hired for specific job roles at companies such as the BBC and STV, but that’s no longer the case. I currently have an active job application with the BBC to join their production talent pool which would see me work across 3 platforms if successful. This involves online, radio and TV production. I would highly recommend checking out courses at West College Scotland (formerly Reid Kerr) or City of Glasgow College as they offer introductory courses that open up options for university. It’s also a very fun subject and involves lots of practical work. The majority of the assessments do NOT involve handwriting or typing which was a big relief for me as the only writing I like to do is fiction/creative (or these types of mad ramblings).

So that’s a little more on my background but you don’t have to be media driven in order to volunteer here at the BCDT.

431194_313347782061804_790052832_n-300x225

Getting Involved

There are many options available. Everybody knows that work isn’t something that’s easy going right now and so, to improve your chances, volunteering is the way to go. It doesn’t hurt that you can have fun and enjoy yourself in the process here.

If you’re just considering volunteering or have an interest, don’t be shy and get in touch. I’ve been here 3-4 weeks in total now and have already had the privilege of covering the Corey Cup Football Tournament as a photographer and blogger. It was a great experience that will no doubt help me somewhere down the line in my own career path.

The calendar is jam packed with activities and we can always use some helping hands. If you’re keen on sport, interested in admin, love media (like me) or even just want to find something fun to do in the community, come on down to Beith Astro and have a chat! The people here are friendly and laid-back. You’ll probably even get a free cuppa tea or coffee for even expressing an interest! Who doesn’t love free stuff?! Just don’t give them anything embarrassing as ammo… my “ex-X-Factor contestant” status has just come up! I think I’ll be fine until someone finds out about my old modelling gig…

IMAG2650-1024x577

Job Satisfaction

In all seriousness, the opportunities are phenomenal and I couldn’t recommend it more highly to just throw your name in the hat and see what happens…

I said at the beginning of this post that the voluntary role is very rewarding. I had hit a low point before joining up with the BCDT. I had officially finished up with college work in September 2013 and had struggles from that point on-wards to find anything that would help me to continue to develop my skills. Which, after a while, caused me to lose confidence. I managed to get a brief seasonal role in my local supermarket for Christmas but I’ve never been interested enough in retail to ever consider a career in that field. My passion is creative media and so I was grateful when my jobcentre found that the Trust could offer me a place as an Events Press Officer.  Content creation is something I’m major league confident with, so when the opportunity appeared, I had to grab it. I’ve had a resurgence in confidence, I’m no longer staring constantly at a job site full of dead-end, irrelevant jobs (to me at least) and I’ve gained a lot of friends and met new people who have made it so easy to fit in.

Again, I couldn’t recommend it more highly.

So that’s my story, we look forward to hearing yours!

We Need You!

By | Community, News

payplay-lg1

TeamBCDT are looking for volunteers to assist with community projects at Beith Astro.

The projects include Disability Football, Girls Football, Community Classes and Summer Camps.

Volunteers must:

• be enthusiastic and confident to assist with leading a group
  • have experience of working with children
  • either hold, or be willing to work towards holding Scottish FA Coaching Badges

Furthermore, it is essential that you are able to commit to a certain number of hours each week.

This opportunity will allow you to gain valuable experience of working with the community and children, and give you the opportunity to attend a coaching qualification course, amongst other qualifications.

If you are interested or know some who is please contact Scott Moffat, Beith Astro’s Commercial Manager on 01505 228141 or email scott.moffat@beithastro.co.uk.

Champions Awards Ceremony

By | Community, News

Tuesday evening saw Beith Community Development Trusthost the first ever Champions Awards Ceremony to celebrate and recognise the achievements of local children and young people who have completed  Sports Leader UK

Leadership courses involving volunteering in a range of community projects.

The event was a huge success and was widely supported by parents, local councillors, representatives from Sports Leader UK and Beith Juniors Community FC.

Young people received Playmaker Awards, Sports Leader Level 4, Community Sports Leader and a range of Saltire Awards from 10 hours up to 200 hours in recognition of volunteering.

Laurene Edgar, Development Officer for Sports Leader UK in Scotland presented trophies to the Sports Leader Level 4 and Community Sports Leader Level 5 groups in recognition of their extra commitment, dedication, enthusiasm and involvement in the development of the local community and congratulated Beith Trust on the support they have given to the young achievers –   Laurene said ‘I often highlight the work of Beith Trust as an example of best practice in sports leadership pathways for young people, this is a great example of how a community based organisation can promote and support  culture of leadership in their  local community.

Amy McKeeman, 19 from Kilbirnie, who volunteers with the Outdoor Education group weekly and was receiving her 200 hours of volunteering award, opened the evening. Todd Norris and Adam Walker, age 10 from Beith, both of whom recently completed their Playmaker Awards spoke at the event, introducing people and giving the close and thanks.    sOther speakers included Sophie Millan and John Nelson who completed their Level 4 Sports Leader Awards and Shaun Craig, Andrew Ferguson, Craig Walker, Scott Watson and Rhuaridh MacDonald from the level 5 Community Sports Leader team.

Certificates were presented by Laurene Edgar: Sports Leader UK, Alex MacFie: BCDT Development Manager, Caroline Watson: BCDT Tutor, Kevin Nelson: BCDT Director, Gordon McLeod: BCDT Chairperson and Brent Norris: Beith Community Football Club Chairperson.

Playmaker Awards (Age 9+): Connor Bates, John Boyd, Taylor Burns, Lewis Christie, Timo Dobson, Andrew Gemmell, Dylan Jackson, Calum McDonald, Todd Norris, Balazs Szommer, Adam Walker, John Barrie

Sports Leader Level 4 (Age 14+): Michael McNaughton, Sophie Millan, John Nelson, Amy Pollack

Community Sports Leader Level 5 (Age 16+): Shaun Craig, Ruhuarid McDonald, Andrew Ferguson, Craig Walker, Scott Watson, Simon Webster

Saltire Awards (Age 12-25): Amanda Burns, Catherine Burns, Nicole Burns, Shaun Craig, Andrew Ferguson, Mollie Kerr, Ruairidh Kerr, Ruhuarid MacDonald, Kayleigh McIlree, Sophie Millan, John Nelson, Kevin Nelson, Amy Pollack, Darrin Purkiss, Craig Walker, Scott Watson, Simon Webster

[portfolio_slideshow id=1853]

Pre-loved Football Boots

By | Community, News | 2 Comments

We have some fantastic second hand football boots available just now down at Beith Astro.

If you take a fancy to any of these boots take a note of the number (which is detailed below each and get in touch either through the BCDT Facebook or by calling 01505 228141.

548969_599057506824162_1656495086_nImprove your accuracy with these Umbro football boots, designed with Shot Shield technology to the instep, enhanced by shape correcting memory foam under the first metatarsal and tongue and raised TPU fins for improved swerve, control and accuracy on every strike.

The Umbro Football Boots also utilise a carbon fibre soleplate with firm ground TPU studs designed for optimal structural reinforcement and stability, finished off with a synthetic Teijin material to the upper for a more responsive touch. These are a size 13 and labelled as number 7.555502_599057380157508_953021804_nSondico
Play another killer through ball in the Sondico Football Boots, complete with a padded and shaped ankle designed for complete comfort and support out on the pitch combined with the laced front for a secure fit.

These Sondico kids football boots benefit from a moulded stud formation to the sole plate designed for maximum traction on firm ground pitches with stitched detailing to the forefoot and the Sondico logo completing the look. These football boots are a size one and labelled as number five.

562294_599057603490819_1499817636_nThe adidas Mens Football Boots provides terrific performance on the ball thanks to a series of Lethal Zones to the upper, designed to improve trapping, precision and power.

These mens adidas football boots offer superb grip on firm pitches thanks to a durable Traxion soleplate of moulded studs, and is adidas miCoach compatible, offering the option for you to record your in game statistics such as distance covered and top speed. These are a size 5 and labelled #6 935129_599057236824189_106039184_n (1)The Nike Kids Football Boots provide a comfortable fit thanks to a padded finish to the heel and ankle collar, and sport an eye catching galaxy print finish to the upper for a terrific look.

These kids Nike football boots offer a lightweight fit designed to enhance acceleration, and benefit from a durable moulded outsole with a formation of shaped studs for excellent grip on firmer pitches. These are a size 12 and labelled as number 1 1376630_599057256824187_2035757980_nThe adidas Turf boots provide a comfortable fit thanks to a padded heel and ankle collar and sport a smooth synthetic upper for a streamlined performance, perfect for quick wingers.

These adults adidas football trainers provide a terrific look on the pitch thanks to the traditional 3-Stripes to the sides and staggering styling to the heel, and are rounded off with a durable Traxion soleplate with low profile grip for stability on astro pitches. These are a size 5 and labelled as number 3. 1378095_599057456824167_1123151594_nThe adidas Goletto III TRX FG Junior Football Boots offer great performance on the pitch thanks to a stitched finish to the forefoot for a sweet connection on the ball, complete with centred lacing and adidas 3-Stripes styling.

These kids adidas football boots benefit from a shaped, padded heel and ankle collar, and feature a moulded Traxion soleplate housing shaped studs for grip on firm pitches, perfect during dry weather. These football boots are a size 2 ½ and labelled as number 11. 1378756_599057396824173_1919440142_nPlay one touch football in the kids football boots, made with off-centre lacing creating a large instep panel containing a PU shot shield for brilliant ball control.

These kids Nike football boots sport a comfortable fit with padding to the shaped heel and ankles, a TPU soleplate with bladed studs for excellent grip on firm ground, and are complete with traditional Nike styling. These are a size children 12 and labelled as number 4. 1383016_599057240157522_610983277_nThe Adidas F50 adiZero TRX FG Kids Football Boots offer a super lightweight fit at just 165g thanks to a synthetic Sprintskin upper complete with a delicate 3D texturing to the forefoot, a smooth striped styling to the sides and heel, and centred lacing for a streamlined finish.

These kids F50 football boots sport a Sprintframe system with an external heel counter for complete support, a breathable lightweight insole for comfort and benefit from a durable moulded outsole with shaped studs to provide amazing grip on firm pitches, rounded off with miCoach technology capabilities. These football boots are a size 13 and labelled as number 9.

Events Calendar

« October 2017 » loading...
M T W T F S S
Sat 21

Fast way to 5K

October 4 @ 6:30 pm - December 6 @ 8:30 pm
Sat 21

Mindfulness Course #2

October 10 @ 6:30 pm - November 28 @ 8:30 pm
Sat 21

Beginners Crochet

October 18 @ 6:00 pm - November 22 @ 8:00 pm