Recently we were lucky enough to spend the afternoon with some mums and toddlers in our local community centre discussing different ways to reduce food waste. Why do we care so much about this? As these wonderful mums will tell you, it is beneficial to shop smart and store our food in smart ways because it saves time, money … and the planet. Win win!
So what can you do at home?
- You can buy seasonal food which reduces the air miles travelled from farm to plate
- You can select packaging that helps keep your food fresher for longer
- You can calculate your perfect portions to prevent making too much (this can be done at www.lovefoodhatewaste.com )
- Know your supermarket labels, remember food CAN be eaten past the best before date
- Store food appropriately and make use of the fridge and freezer to keep food fresher for longer
One of the best bits about the afternoon was hearing the mums come up with some delicious and creative meals from the list of ‘leftovers’ we gave them such as pizzas, stews, risottos, curry and more! We were really inspired by some of the ideas everyone came up with and it was so nice to see so many people actively engaged in this topic. Who wouldn’t want to save up to £700 per year whilst creating a greener world … and making more time to spend with each other rather than in the kitchen!