Tinkertown is an inspiring place, a scrap timber village built by children for children (and their families).
Developed in the spirit of authentic ‘Adventure Playgrounds’ and in response to the inaugural Architecture Fringe (Archi-Fringe) Festival, Tinkertown welcomed 200 visitors across four days to the Pollokshields Playhouse in July 2016. Together with our team of architecture student volunteers we taught children and adults how to safely use real tools in the design and build of their own space within the city.
In November 2016 Tinkertown shortlisted for a ‘Making Space Award’ by Children in Scotland.
Following the success of our inaugural event, we are bringing Tinkertown to two new communities in Beith and Bowling this coming summer. Follow us on twitter @ArchiTinkertown for updates!
So Tinkertown comes to Beith Astro
Tinkertown has landed on the grounds of Beith Astro, there are dens built and dens under construction so why not come along and give it a go. Work with your imagination and get creating using hand tools such as hammers & saws under guidance of professionals. Find out more: @ City Of Play
Did you know that there are many physical and mental benefits of children using hand tools. Here are just a few:
1. Develops fine motor skills + hand-eye co-ordination
2. Encourages a positive approach to new experiences
3. Develops concentration, problem solving and planning
4. Builds self-confidence and self esteem
5. Teaches kids to investigate, explore, design + create
6. Builds imagination + creativity
7. They will express their feelings and thoughts through color, texture, shapes and forms
Next dates include Saturday 29th July & Tuesday 1st August don’t miss out!